[whatwg] Installed Apps

From: Michael Davidson <mpd@google.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:43:04 -0700
On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Tab Atkins Jr.<jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Michael Davidson<mpd at google.com> wrote:
>> With a hidden page that's accessible to all Google Finance visible
>> pages, they could share a connection to the server. Even if the hidden
>> page is closed when the last Google Finance page is closed, this is a
>> better situation than we currently have.
>
> Can't SharedWorkers do that right now? ?If all you're doing is polling
> for data, it seems like you don't need all the extra stuff that these
> various proposals are offering.

It's my contention that frequently large web apps are doing more than
just polling for data. They're trying to maintain complex data
structures that they pass up to the UI. The programming model of
SharedWorkers makes this difficult. Take the chat client in Gmail, for
example. It's much more complex than passing stock quotes from a
worker to the UI.

Michael