[whatwg] Installed Apps

From: Michael Enright <michael.enright@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 17:41:18 -0700
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Michael Davidson<mpd at google.com> wrote:

> THE PROBLEM
>
> <snip>
> feature parity with desktop applications.
> <snip>
>
> A SOLUTION
>
> <snip>
> hidden HTML/JS page running
> in the background that can access the DOM of visible windows.
> <snip>
>

> KNOWN ISSUES
>
> As mentioned in earlier discussions about persistent workers,
> permissioning UI is a major issue.

The thing that rubs me the wrong way about this is not that there
would be a permissioning UI, it would be the permission decision I
would have to convey through said UI. How do I know that I want to let
some site have the same permissions I give Gmail?

Do you really, really need this? Gmail is already always running on my desktop.