[whatwg] AppCache can't serve different contents for different users at the same URL

From: Drew Wilson <atwilson@google.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:02:47 -0700
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:10:52 +0200, Drew Wilson <atwilson at google.com>
> wrote:
> > Not sure what you are suggesting, Anne - it sounds like they want to tie
> > the AppCache to a specific cookie/value combination, which I don't
> believe is
> > supported by the current spec.
>
> Well, as far as I can tell cookies are part of the request to the manifest
> file so you could serve up a different one from the server based on cookie
> data.

That's an interesting idea (send down a different manifest), although I
don't see how you'd leverage that technique to support two different
users/manifests and use the appropriate app cache depending on which user is
logged in.

I think this boils down to "the Gears 'requiredCookie' attribute was really
useful".

> Is the problem supporting multiple users completely client-side? I can see
> how that might not work very well.

Yeah, I think that's the use case they are trying to support - offline
access to web apps where any one of multiple users can log in. I have to say
that I'm somewhat fuzzy on the precise use case, though.