[whatwg] Create my own DTD and specify in DOCTYPE? Re: Validation

From: <Darxus@ChaosReigns.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:02:06 -0400
On 07/21, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> HTML5 is not an SGML or XML language.  It does not use a DOCTYPE in

I thought HTML5 conformed to XML?

> any way.  The "<!DOCTYPE HTML>" incantation required at the top of
> HTML5 pages serves the sole purpose of tricking older browsers into
> rendering the document as well as possible.  No checking is made
> against a DTD, official or otherwise.

I understand that, but the spec says an HTML5 document must include
<!DOCTYPE html>.  And I would like, for my own purposes, to be able to
instead use <!DOCTYPE html SYSTEM
"http://www.chaosreigns.com/DTD/html5.dtd"> without violating HTML5.

--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
human mind to correlate all its contents."