[whatwg] [html5] Image captions in FIGUREs

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 01:57:41 -0400
Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On the note of <legend> styling, currently a legend-in-fieldset isn't
> handled by the standard CSS renderer *at all* in FF, last I heard

More precisely it's handled as having a special "position" value that
you can't override, more or less, and that position value forces
float:none and display:block and certain sizing behavior, more or less.
  All of this is expressed in CSS.  After that you use the CSS
renderer...  On the other hand, <fieldset> itself is pretty weird in
terms of the way it renders; it doesn't use any of the standard CSS box
types.  The box type it does use makes certain assumptions about the
styling of the <legend>.  All that might get changed, but it only
matters for <legend> in <fieldset>.  Current trunk Gecko handles
<legend> outside <fieldset> as just another block, in terms of the
renderer.  How you get such a DOM is a separate issue.  Firefox 3.5 and
earlier does weird things for <legend> outside <fieldset>.

-Boris