[whatwg] <embed> and <object>

From: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:03:06 +0200
On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 7:21 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Thomas Broyer wrote:
>>
>> Though, now that HTML5 introduces <video> and <audio>, I wonder if
>> <object> couldn't be equivalent to those when type of the resource is
>> some video or sound...

> significantly more complicated than desired. The overloading of <object>
> as it already is was a mistake that we don't want to continue making.

I wasn't talking about APIs!

Just saying that now that HTML5 makes audio and video are first-class
web citizen, then maybe it should say that:
 - if the /resource type/ starts with "audio/" and support for sounds
has not been disabled, then the <object> element represents the
specified sound or audio stream
 - if the /resource type/ starts with "video/" and support for videos
has not been disabled, then the <object> element represents the
specified video

--
Thomas Broyer