[whatwg] Codecs for <video> and <audio>

From: Mike Shaver <mike.shaver@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:14:47 -0400
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Peter Kasting<pkasting at google.com> wrote:
> I believe Ian said concretely in a prior email that it is Apple's objection
> to Theora, not YouTube's, that prevents it from being named as a baseline
> codec.

In his summary of the situation at

http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-June/020620.html

Ian said

"   Google has implemented H.264 and Ogg Theora in Chrome, but cannot
   provide the H.264 codec license to third-party distributors of
   Chromium, and have indicated a belief that Ogg Theora's quality-per-bit
   is not yet suitable for the volume handled by YouTube.
"

which led me to believe that YouTube's opinion was part of the
relevant-vendor positions which led to the choice to not specify a
codec.  If it's not relevant, then its inclusion was certainly quite
confusing

Mike