[whatwg] HTML 5 video tag questions

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:15:52 +0200
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:38:11 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Boris Zbarsky<bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
>> Philip J?genstedt wrote:
>>>
>>> It would have to be part of the resource selection algorithm. Since
>>> that
>>> waits for new source elements indefinitely, when exactly would you
>>> decide to
>>> switch to fallback content? Bad solutions include special-casing static
>>> markup and/or (falsely) assuming that scripts will not insert more
>>> source
>>> elements at some point. If fallback content is defined simply as the
>>> content
>>> of the video element I also can't figure out any other solutions.
>>
>> A <source> that says "use the content"?
>>
>> -Boris
>>

> Ie inserting <source fallback> or <source contents>.  If both @src and
> @fallback are specified on a <source>, it is treated like a <source
> src><source fallback>; that is, it first tries the @src attribute, and
> if that doesn't work, then it goes to the fallback content.

That would require the parser to inspect an attribute to determine if the
element is a void element (one that does not have a closing tag) or not,
which I've been told is not very nice. Are there any other such cases?

This is why I suggested <video><source
src="cant.play.ogg"><new-fallback-element>Ooops!</new-fallback-element></video>

I still think the use of this is questionable though.

--
Philip J?genstedt
Core Developer