[whatwg] HTML 5 video tag questions

On 12.7.09 23:20, Ian Hickson wrote:
> If people really want to push
> Apple into supporting Theora, the best way to do it would be to just keep
> using it as if it was the common codec, and _not_ provide another fallback
> for<video>-supporting UAs -- then things would work fine it non-<video>-
> supporting UAs like IE (through fallback flash support inside<video>),
> and would work fine in Theora-supporting UAs, but Safari would be left in
> the cold.

I'm fine doing this for myself: partly because it's pressure on Apple; perhaps mostly because I choose to make embedding videos that I can watch in-browser easy for myself, and because I don't particularly care if some portions of my audience are unable to see such videos and also choose not to download a browser that will display them ("fallback" content provides a download link -- I haven't made the effort to handle Safari4-sans-XiphQT yet, see supra).  That said, my position will be uncommon, and I'm not particularly interested in making use of <video> right now harder for those who don't share it -- even if it comes at the expense of added pressure on Apple.

Jeff