[whatwg] HTML 5 video tag questions

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 15:00:14 -0700

On Jul 11, 2009, at 12:54 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> Not really, at some point well before then the argument will shift to
> a newer clearly superior to H.264 encumbered format. I would expect
> that H.264 would spend a period of time as a non-consideration by
> almost everyone since it would be inferior to something newer and yet
> would still require fees.

You may be right. On the other hand, Theora and it's immediate
precursor have been around for about a decade, and Theora is still
considered to be contender quality-wise.

This was a minor side point to what I think is the main point:
<video> should use the fallback content as a last resort if none of
the provided sources are suitable. If you are right that in a decade
current codecs may all be obsolete, that is supporting evidence for
this position. A final <source> fallback to a baseline codec may
someday not be a suitable solution, if the baseline is considered
obsolete by then and no one wants to use it.

Regards,
Maciej