[whatwg] Serving up Theora <video> in the real world

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 13:51:20 +0200
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 13:15:14 +0200, Robert O'Callahan
<robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Philip J?genstedt
> <philipj at opera.com>wrote:
>
>> Well I disagree of course, because having canPlayType("video/ogg") mean
>> anything else than "can I demux Ogg streams" is pointless.
>>

> So you want "canPlayType" to mean one thing when provided a type without
> codecs, and another thing when provided a type with codecs. I don't think
> that's a good idea.

Yes, I'm saying that when codecs are provided true means "probably" and
otherwise it means "maybe", because the distinction is pointless.

> Anyway, it's too late. If you care passionately about this you should
> have
> reopened this discussion months ago, not now that two browsers have just
> shipped support for the API in the spec.

Ian, if you agree that it's too late to change you needn't reply to any of
my other points, I won't push the issue further.

--
Philip J?genstedt
Core Developer