[whatwg] Canvas context.drawImage clarification

On Jul 10, 2009, at 6:38 PM, Gregg Tavares wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:
>> Inconsistency doesn't lead to no one depending on a behaviour, it
>> just means sites only work in one browser.  Your suggesting would
>> result in sites being broken in all browsers -- the only options
>> from here on out are either nothing gets drawn (as in gecko and
>> presto), or the destination is normalised (as in webkit).
>>
>> Or making it consistent when the DOCTYPE is set to something.
> API behaviour is not effected by the DOCTYPE, only parsing.
> Unfortunately you can't change a DOM API that has existed for years
> to something contradictory.
>
> I guess I don't understand. I'm new to the list so forgive me but I
> thought HTML5 was still a working draft and that the canvas tag was
> part of that draft. How is a draft immutable?

A reasonable amount of HTML5 is also defining existing behaviour --
Canvas has been shipping in browsers for years now, it was introduced
in Safari *2*, so there is actually existing content.

> Consistency and usefulness should win in this case. There is the
> chance to make the spec unambiguous and more useful before canvas
> becomes widely used.
I'm not arguing that i should not have specified behaviour, i'm merely
saying that it needs to specify one of the actually accepted
behaviour, it can't introduce a new one.

> I can't claim it's a bug if the spec doesn't define what the correct
> behavior is.
I can't speak for the gecko canvas implementor, but if this were an
issue in webkit i would want a bug so that the behavioural difference
was recorded somewhere :D

--Oliver