[whatwg] Serving up Theora <video> in the real world

From: Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 19:27:48 -0400
On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 7:24 PM, Maciej Stachowiak<mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> I thought your plan was to use Cortado for plugins that don't have
> <video>+Theora. Why would you single out Safari users for a worse
> experience?

As david mentioned, Cortado is a worse experience. What we've been
planning was that everyone without native support who appeared to be
on a platform which could have native support were going to get a
recommendation to upgrade/change software along with the Cortado.

This would have resulted in Safari users being advised to install
XiphQT, but since that doesn't appear to work anymore for the shipping
software it will just get treated like Firefox 3.0 and other
video-less browsers.