[whatwg] Codecs for <audio> and <video>

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Charles Pritchard wrote:

> > This is on the list of things to consider in a future version. At this
> > point I don't really want to add new features yet because otherwise
> > we'll never get the browser vendors caught up to implementing the same
> > spec. :-)
>
> Consider a programmable <audio> element as a priority.

Could you elaborate on what your use cases are? Is it just the ability to
manually decode audio tracks?

> > > I'd like to see a font analog in audio as well. Canvas supports the
> > > font attribute, audio could certainly support sound fonts. Use a
> > > generated pitch if your platform can't or doesn't store sound fonts.
> >
> > This seems like an issue for the CSS or SVG working groups, who are
> > working on font-related technologies.
>
> Should it gather any momentum, this would be an attribute which
> HTMLMediaElement tags should be aware of. For example: <audio
> style="-ext-audio-font: tone|url(arbitrary.url)" />.
>
> Should the audio source be a container format, such as midi, it would
> interpret the css property.

If the CSS working group go down this road, I shall make sure HTML5 is
compatible with what the CSS working group define.

> > > "User agents should provide controls to enable the manual selection
> > > of fallback content."
> >
> > There's no reason the UA couldn't provide an override mechanism to
> > select an alternative source if the UA vendor so desires.
>
> I was considering the current dead-lock about the situation of h.264 and
> theora codecs.
> An explicit statement encourages UA-developers to adopt good practices.

I encourage you to contact the user agents directly. I generally try to
avoid specifying UI in the specification.

Cheers,