[whatwg] Chipset support is a good argument

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009, Eric Flores wrote:

> > The point is that there is no decided roadmap.
>
> There was one, and has been recently dropped.

Actually there has never been a roadmap on this issue.

> My point is that thinking that the free market will solve the issue by
> any of the two routes that you stated is even more unrealistic than
> assuming that Apple will implement Theora just because it is part of the
> spec.

Apple has said they won't implement Theora regardless of whether it's in
the spec or not. I agree though that it might be that the two outcomes I
describe are also unlikely.

> Apple will not change their format even if the rest of the world uses
> any other thing. On the other side, the silent giant will not support
> anything other than their WMV and WMA format. Even if Apple and Mozilla
> reach an agreement, what will we do once Microsoft decides to speak up?
> Yes, I know the response.

I don't. I wish Microsoft would speak up, as that might help tilt the
balance one way or the other.

> Having a preferred format tips the balance for the chipmakers to make a
> decision, and in the case of Theora, helps to stir discussion about the
> supposed hidden patents.

I agree entirely. It is sad that we can't find one.

> Theora might not be the best. But is the best that we have.

We don't even have Theora right now.