[whatwg] Codecs for <audio> and <video>

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 11:41:27 +0200
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:39:05 +0200, Peter Kasting <pkasting at google.com>
wrote:
> There is no other reason to put a codec in the spec -- the primary
> reason to spec a behavior (to document vendor consensus) does not
> apply.  "Some
> vendors agreed, and some objected violently" is not "consensus".

The "vendor consensus" line of argument seems like a very dangerous
slippery slope. It would mean that whenever a vendor refuses to implement
something it has to be taken out of the specification. I.e. giving a
single vendor veto power over the documentation of the Web Platform. Not
good at all in my opinion.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/