[whatwg] RDFa is to structured data, like canvas is to bitmap and SVG is to vector

On 18/1/09 21:04, Shelley Powers wrote:
> Dan Brickley wrote:

>>> The simplest thing is not to have mappings but to put the corresponding
>>> absolute URI wherever RDFa uses a CURIE.
>>
>> So this would be a kind of "interoperability profile" of RDFa, where
>> certain features approved of by REC-rdfa-syntax-20081014 wouldn't be
>> used in some hypothetical HTML5 RDFa.
>>
>> If people can control their urge to use namespace abbreviations, and
>> stick to URIs directly, would this make your DOM-oriented concerns go
>> away?
>
> Took five minutes to make this change in my template. Ran through
> validator.nu. Results:
>
> Doesn't like the content-type. Didn't like profile on head. Having to
> remove the profile attribute in my head element limits usability, but
> I'm not going to throw myself on the sword for this one.
>
> Doesn't like property, doesn't like about. These are the RDFa attributes
> I'm using. The RDF extractor doesn't care that I used the URIs directly.

This sounds encouraging. Thanks for taking the time to try the
experiment,  Shelley. But ... to be clear, are you putting full URIs in
the @property attribute too? In
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/#s_curieprocessing it says '@property,
@datatype and @typeof support only CURIE values.'

(Can you post an example?)

Reading ...
"""Many of the attributes that hold URIs are also able to carry 'compact
URIs' or CURIEs. A CURIE is a convenient way to represent a long URI, by
replacing a leading section of the URI with a substitution token. It's
possible for authors to define a number of substitution tokens as they
see fit; the full URI is obtained by locating the mapping defined by a
token from a list of in-scope tokens, and then simply concatenating the
second part of the CURIE onto the mapped value."""

... I guess the fact that @property is supposed to be CURIE-only isn't a
problem with parsers since this can be understood as a CURIE with no (or
empty) substitution token.

cheers,

Dan

--