[whatwg] Form Serialization

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, Michael A. Puls II wrote:

> > Are browsers actually buggy here?
>
> You probably won't buy it, but I like the idea of using a form as a user
> input data gatherer for in-page js-based apps where you do custom things
> with the data and often don't actually submit the data anywhere.

Oh this is quite common, I'm just not entirely sure that the form data set
serialised is a good way of handling that data.

However, I've added it to the list of missing features; once browsers are
more consistent with their forms handling we can consider adding it then.

> > Why would we not want the browser vendors to just fix those bugs
> > rather than implement new ones?
>
> If the vendor agrees it's bug, plans to fix it and can do it in a timely
> manner, sure. Otherwise, you get people to starting fixing things
> themselves (js libs do that in a way).

Well if the browser vendors don't agree it's a bug, they might not agree
that this is a feature worth implementing either. If they don't have the
time to fix the bug, they might not have the time to implement this
feature either. And if they do implement this feature, it'll likely have
the same bug since it would just be exposing the same code.