[whatwg] Fwd: [html5] Semantic elements and spec complexity

From: David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:09:52 +0000
2009/2/11 Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch>:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, David Gerard wrote:

>> Think of tag-soupness as a feature, not a bug. Shudder in horror at what
>> this implies.

> I don't think that's a particularly controversial position here. People in
> other mailing lists involved in the development of HTML5 might disagree. :-)

It's definitely a feature, not a bug, in Wikitext - Wikipedia has many
contributors who write great articles but basically can't work a
computer otherwise. If it wasn't, Wikipedia would be written in
immaculately nested XML ... and XML was expressly *not* designed for
humans to write, but for machines to talk to each other.

Whether it's a feature for HTML, well, I suspect the people who write
parsers have a few choice words on the matter ;-)

- d.