[whatwg] Hyphenation

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:14:48 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, ?istein E. Andersen wrote:

> Hyphenation does not seem to have been discussed on this list so far,
> and I think it should be.
>
> Old proposal:
>     [2] http://www.nada.kth.se/i18n/html/hyph.html

While I appreciate the problems faced by Swedish, German, and othes, I
don't think this is a big enough problem to deserve solutions more
complicated than the soft hyphen at this time.

Given that Unicode provides soft hyphen semantics and CSS provides the
rendering rules, I don't think there is anything much for HTML5 to say on
the matter at this time.

This thread included many further e-mails discussing the subject. I agree
with most of the points made. There did not seem to be a consensus that
this is something that HTML5 should do anything about. If hyphenation
dictionaries are to be used, it seems CSS would be the best place for
them. I haven't done anything in HTML5 to handle them.

As usual, please let me know if there is something I missed.

Cheers,