[whatwg] Use cases for the time element

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Hugh Guiney <hugh.guiney at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:
>> However, the second one isn't quite an argument for expanding time.
>> It's an outlining of, *if* we decide that we want <time> to be useful
>> for *all* dates, how we should go about doing it. ?ppk recognizes that
>> such an approach may not be what the spec wants.
>
> I realize that, but the fact that he was able to write that much on
> the topic just strengthens the argument that <time> has far more use
> cases than it's been allotted, and as such, its current definition
> needs to be addressed, be it in that capacity or smaller.

Well, no, he had to write that much because historical dates are
really quite messed up, and it's *very* non-trivial to represent them
'correctly'.  That doesn't mean that <time> should really be that
complex, just that *if* <time> wants to address those cases it'll need
that level of complexity.

~TJ