[whatwg] WebSocket sub protocol name.

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Fumitoshi Ukai (??~\????~V~G?~U~O) wrote:

> > > Why are control characters (except LF and CR) allowed?
> >
> > There doesn't seem to be a good reason to exclude them, and excluding
> > them would lead to a more complicated processing model.
>
> In HTTP, field-content is TEXT or combinations of token, separators, and
> quoted-string. TEXT, or token, separators excludes CTLs. So, we must use
> quoted-string in WebSocket-Protocol: if protocol contains CTLs?

Oh, I forgot that HTTP had the no-CTL restriction. Good point. I've
updated the spec to be consistent with this.

> And, why is it limited to ASCII instead of UTF-8?

Because the HTTP working group refuse to allow UTF-8 in HTTP headers for
reasons that I don't really understand, and the handshake is supposed to
be valid HTTP.

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Julian Reschke wrote:

> There isn't a good reason to disallow control characters in a *name*????

Not as far as I can tell, no... what would a good reason be?