[whatwg] HTML5 video element - default to fallback in cases where UA can't play format

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 14:29:19 +0100, Kit Grose <kit at iqmultimedia.com.au>
wrote:

> It seems counterintuitive to me that having produced fallback content
> already, I still need to use Javascript to test for compatibility
> (even if I *did* generate two formats, there's obviously no guarantee
> IE9 won't come out requiring WMV or a similar issue with a different
> UA).
>
> Are there any other elements in HTML that _require_ Javascript to
> provide a good UX?

What's wrong with using JavaScript to work around temporary problems? In
the long term, is there a use case for allowing fallback content?

I'll freely admit that the most important reason I oppose this is because
I don't want to implement it, because fallback behavior is a mess (see
<object>). If there is any other browser implementor that thinks fallback
is a good idea, it might be worth discussing.

--
Philip J?genstedt
Core Developer