[whatwg] A tag for measurements / quantity?

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Max Romantschuk wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > I don't really understand the use case here. What problem would this be
> > solving? What do we have to demonstrate that this problem matters?
>
> It might well be that there is no problem.

Ok. Then I recommend we punt this to the next version.

> From a practical perspective it would be nice to have an unambiguous way
> to mark up numerical constants in a document and thus allow a
> straightforward way of doing conversions.
>
> Personally, the obvious use case for me is recipes. Even a relatively
> simple one requires a lot of manual calculation to convert cups, pounds
> and ounces into deciliters and grams. While some sites supply conversion
> tools for this providing the semantic information straight in the markup
> would allow conversions for any document.
>
> With the large majority of humanity doing cooking one could argue that
> this would be genuinely useful. Then again, it's quite possible no one
> would ever use this, and it would just end up cluttering the spec.

I can't imagine really seeing enough sites using this to make it worth it,
but maybe our experience with <time> will show this kind of thing is used
a lot.

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Jeremy Keith wrote:

> The problem statement on the microformats wiki page reads:
>
> "Measures (e.g. weights, sizes, temperatures) occur frequently on the
> Web, they are constituted of a value a unit-measure and, in scientific
> and technical contexts, an experimental uncertainty. These 3 elements
> should be marked-up consistently across websites so that they can be
> easily identified and acted upon (export, compute, convert) in
> collaborative distributed applications.
>
> Unit-measures differ from locale to locale (e.g. Fahrenheit vs. Celsius,
> pound versus Kilogram), making comparison and matching of offerings
> difficult.
>
> The measurement microformat will enable unambiguous description of
> physical quantities and thus provide a solid ground for data sharing and
> automation in many areas."

This is begging the question. Just because a pattern occurs a lot doesn't
mean that it should be marked up.

But I guess if the microformat is successful, we'll have the data we need
for the next version of the spec.