[whatwg] Remove addCueRange/removeCueRanges

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:28:14 +0200, Dr. Markus Walther <walther at svox.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> The .start/.end properties were dropped in favor of media fragments,
>> which the Media Fragments Working Group is producing a spec for.
>
> Who decided this? Has this decision been made public on this list?

It happened in November 2008:

http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2008-November/017157.html

This is the specific spec change:

http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=2400&to=2401&context=10

>> It will
>> be something like http://www.example.com/movie.mov#t=12.33,21.16
>
> var audioObject = new Audio();
> audioObject.src
> ='data:audio/x-wav;base64,UklGRiIAAABXQVZFZm10IBAAAAABAAEAIlYAAESsAAACABAAZGF0Yf7///8AAAAA....';
> // play entire audio
> audioObject.play();
> // play (0.54328,0.72636) media fragment
> ?????
>

>> See http://www.w3.org/2008/01/media-fragments-wg.html and
>> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/wiki/Syntax#Examples
>
> Did you look at these yourself? I couldn't find something that
> approaches a spec of comparable quality to WHATWG in these pages.

Implementation (should) always comes before spec and there is no
implementation yet. Given the simplicity of the most basic syntax, I am
not at all worried by the lack of a proper spec yet.

> Is there any provision for the dynamic case, where you want to change
> the media fragment after it has been loaded, with zero server
> interaction, and working for data URIs as well?

You can change the fragment with scripts at any time you want followed by
load()/play(). data URI's with fragments are perfectly valid as far as I
can see. The rest is up to proper implementation (caching).

I agree that would be nice, perhaps on http://wiki.whatwg.org/ ?

--
Philip J?genstedt
Opera Software