[whatwg] AppCache online whitelist wildcard bypasses restriction on scheme

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 00:29:08 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Jenn Braithwaite (?~C??~E??~K~R) wrote:

> In the AppCache section of the HTML5 spec, the new wildcard value '*'
> for the online whitelist section allows one to 'whitelist all'
> regardless of scheme. However, the spec requires a URL in the online
> whitelist section to have the same scheme as the manifest URL.  Seems
> like the new wildcard feature has created a mismatch in whether the
> scheme should be restricted.
>
> Should the scheme restriction be consistent regardless of wildcard value
> vs explicitly listed URL?

I've changed the model to so that any resourcs that aren't in the same
scheme are automatically in the online whitelist, whether "*" is specified
or not.

I think the scheme restrictions were always intended to work this way
(i.e. always intended as a way to make it impossible to cache mailto:
URIs, and things like that, and always intended to not block cross-scheme
networking), but it seems it was only half-baked before.