[whatwg] BWTP for WebSocket transfer protocol

Jonas,

Jonas Sicking wrote:
> Can you suggest changes to the WS protocol that would make it a better
> general-purpose protocol?

There were several threads on the IETF HYBI mailing list with some such
proposals:

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/maillist.html

An example of such a message is at the bottom of this email.
However, the response to such proposals was pretty much that
they were too complex and not needed for the ws API.

It was the result of those interactions that suggested to me
that a bidirectional web protocol would be best developed
at arms length to the websocket API, and thus the BWTP
effort was born.

So far the feedback I have received on BWTP is suggesting
that it has perhaps gone a little too far the other way
and that there are probably some significant simplifications
that can be achieved without greatly restricting the feature
set.

> You've suggested multiplexing, segmentation,
> per-frame mime-type and per-frame meta-data so far. Is there anything
> else that is needed? It would also be good to know what use cases you
> have in mind for all of these features in order to evaluate them.

Predicting the future is always hard, but using the present
as an indicator is good start.

Currently the majority of the web traffic is carried over HTTP
which is capable of multiplexing, segmentation, per-frame mime-type
and per-frame meta-data.

I don't see why adding bidirectional capability should result in any
significant reduction in these capabilities of web transports.

For example, HTTP can well transport a vast array of content types
with meta data support to negotiate accepted languages, types and
encodings.

The ws API can only handle UTF-8 text datagrams, so as a result
the ws protocol has special case handling for UTF-8 text datagrams.

So I think that our starting point should be to develop a
bidirectional protocol that can well support the current web
transport capabilities.   I would say that anybody
who wishes to advocate a less capable transport should
be ask to make the case of why capabilities should be
lost with bidirectional protocols.

regards

Example proposal to improve websocket protocol that
was rejected: