[whatwg] Alt attribute for <video> and <audio>

I have no opinion on the need being adequately covered by other attributes, but?

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Remco<remco47 at gmail.com> wrote:
> For an image this usually works well. An image usually doesn't convey
> a lot of meaning. It can be replaced by a simple sentence like "A
> young dog plays with a red ball on the grass.".
>
> For video, audio, object, iframe, this is a little sparse. Shortening
[snip]

For some videos a simple textual description is inadequate, just like
it is a poor proxy for some still images.  Yet for some other videos,
it is completely accurate.

I have no problem imagining a short video clip which fits your "A
young dog plays with a red ball on the grass" just as accurately as a
still image could fit that description.

An argument that an attribute is inadequate to cover *all* cases
shouldn't be used as a reason to exclude something which is useful in
many case.