[whatwg] Start position of media resources

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 3:00 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, David Singer wrote:

>> > That wouldn't address the use case of files that were split with
>> > non-zero start times, though, where the author wants the original
>> > range to be the one visible in the UI.
>>
>> The complexity of edited files is only really dealt with by embedded
>> time-codes. ?A single segment is the beginning of a large can of worms;
>> what do you want to have happen when there are two segments played
>> consecutively? Following your logic, there would be a time-jump.
>
> Yeah I'm not really sure how to handle this case. (I imagine it could get
> even worse with multiple frames having the same timecode). I guess time is
> linearised starting from the first frame's timecode?

I would suggest handling this as a playlist. It is the same fundamental problem.
If there is a time reset, the timeline should also reset. Then there
can be a prev/next file button for scanning.
We haven't really solved the problem of having playlist references in
<video> tags, so this is a whole discussion to itself IMHO.

Cheers,
Silvia.