[whatwg] How long should sessionStorage data persist?

On , Jeremy Orlow <jorlow at google.com> wrote:

> I think this also applies: "NOTE: The lifetime of a browsing context can be
> unrelated to the lifetime of the actual user agent process itself, as the
> user agent may support resuming sessions after a restart."

Should that restore sessionStorage data ?
Aren't you making sessionStorage much more complicated while the same use cases are covered by localStorage ?
sessionStorage could be optimized to be just a volatile amount of data in memory, but these requirements require sessionStorage to implement the same disk IO heuristics, and a complex heuristic to decide when to erase sessionStorage completly.

I vote for the data to be present just while a page is open or is restored from history or by going back.

Thank you.

--

Jo?o Eiras
Core Technology developer