[whatwg] Safari-compatible <input type="search">

From: Andy Lyttle <whatwg@phroggy.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:14:27 -0700
On Sep 30, 2008, at 7:40 AM, Nils Dagsson Moskopp wrote:

> I assume that this should be based on the search elements ID
> attribute,
> am I right ? Because common UA behaviour already is to cache entries
> (based on ID) ... so what unsolved problem is solved there ?

If I have a form on my site, using a particular autosave string for a
search field, you can create a form on your site that submits to the
same CGI URL, with a search field that uses the same autosave string,
and browsers will know that they should share the search history
between both forms.  This is not a security problem, because the
history list is not accessible to you (or me).

I don't see this feature getting a lot of use, but Apple has already
implemented it, and I don't see a compelling reason not to support
it.  And who knows, if it's supported, maybe someone will think of
some clever use for it that I haven't thought of, that couldn't have
been done well without this feature.

--
Andy Lyttle
whatwg at phroggy.com