[whatwg] Placeholder option for text input boxes

From: Andy Lyttle <whatwg@phroggy.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:23:10 -0700
On Sep 30, 2008, at 8:33 AM, Nils Dagsson Moskopp wrote:

> No, I meant to abolish the placeholder attribute alltogether and
> render
> the title attribute as greyed-sut inside the search box instead,
> because
>       * semantically, the title attribute conveys the same
> information.
>       * it is already there in many pages.

Except that:
1) the title attribute doesn't behave this way on any other element
2) there's no reason it shouldn't be possible to have both a
placeholder AND a tooltip
3) anybody who is currently using the title attribute doesn't expect
it to be displayed as a placeholder, so we would break things for
them (especially if their title string is too long to fit inside a
small field)

--
Andy Lyttle
whatwg at phroggy.com