[whatwg] WebSocket support in HTML5

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply.

> [1]
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2008-July/015252.html

My appologies for only having read the first ten years of that thread :-)

Look, I'm not sure exactly what problem you guys are solving with HTML5's
WebSockets but I wish you well. What I and *many* others are looking for is
native JavaScript support for Sockets  a la mode de (SUN Java Applets +
Adobe Flex + MIcrosoft Silverlight) that for some strange reason don't seem
to be subject to the same imaginary obstacles that are being discussed in
that thread. Please explain what security vulnerabilities et al that Adobe,
SUN and Microsoft have foisted upon us that the HTML5 people wish to spare
us from.

If you guys live in a world where nothing but port 80 exists and no one with
ever want UDP datagrams (let alone Multicast messages) to their web clients
then I have come to the wrong place :-(

What goes up and down the network connection is our business not yours. No
more bollocks protocols!

As I said in the previous post, if you guys want to put a "Frame me like
ASCII" contortion interface/API on top of the JavaScript Sockets (similar to
SOAP on HTTP) then go crazy; just don't try to shackle everyone else with
the same restrictions.

Please see the following for examples of what I am talking about: -

http://manson.vistech.net/t3$examples/demo_client_flex.html
http://manson.vistech.net/t3$examples/demo_client_web.html

In both cases the Username is TIER3_DEMO and the password is QUEUE.

Obviously, you can "view source" for the HTML and Javascript and the Java
Applet and MXML source can be found at
http://manson.vistech.net/t3$examples/

Once again, you are not introducing something new, but you *are* attempting
to introduce support for a tried and tested architecture and you are getting
it hopelessly wrong :-(

Cheers Richard Maher