[whatwg] video tag : loop for ever

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 1:48 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2008, at 8:03 PM, Eric Carlson wrote:
>

>> On Oct 15, 2008, at 3:52 PM, Chris Double wrote:

>>> I agree. I think the simple boolean attribute seems clearer and more
>>> useful. Which attributes exactly are being considered for removal? I'm
>>> assuming these ones:
>>>
>>> playCount
>>> loopStart
>>> loopEnd
>>> currentLoop
>>>
>>> start and end would remain, yes?
>>>
>>  After thinking about this, I'm not sure that limiting playback to a
>> section of a media file will be used very often. A developer can easily
>> script the same functionality as long as they don't use the default
>> controller, so it seems to me that attributes for this aren't warranted.
>
> I think they are useful if you want to:
>
> a) Loop a fragment (might be useful for audio for the same reason people
> chop up a single large image to use multiple background images)

Does having a boolean loop attribute (also included in the DOM)
satisfy your needs?

> b) Use the default controls and get the right behavior. This is pretty
> important, I don't think we should require writing a full custom set of
> media controls just to be able to play a fragment without getting clearly
> bogus UI.

I think controlling a video or audio player requires a decent
javascript API. Mabye we are still lacking in that respect. But I
don't think start and end should be a feature of html elements,
because if they are mainly used for dynamic stuff, they are not well
expressed as attributes.

Regards,
Silvia.