[whatwg] input type="hidden" and validation

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Mike Wilson wrote:
> >
> > - allowing hidden <input>:s to actually live anywhere (this is
> >   probably hard to do dtd/validation-wise)
>
> It's easy to specify, the problem is that it makes it easy
> for authors to
> get in trouble if they change the type attribute on the fly
> (e.g. in an editor or from script).

Certainly. None of this is easy.

> It's also not clear why this is necessary -- putting it in
> the first cell
> of a row, or the next li in an ol, seems trivial.

Assuming you are in control of the whole page's markup at once
then I agree. But when you are not and, it may be far from trivial.
(I mentioned an example of this in the link I included earlier
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2008-October/016718.html
)

> > - keeping the whole thing invalid but still define in HTML5 how
> >   the migration of ill-placed <input>:s should work
>
> That is theoretically already defined.

Interesting. Is it the foster-parenting of tables you are referring
to, or is there anything more specific for <input>:s?

Best regards
Mike Wilson