[whatwg] fixing the authentication problem

From: Eduard Pascual <herenvardo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 01:42:02 +0100
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 1:28 AM, WeBMartians <webmartians at verizon.net> wrote:
> Somewhere, is there a definition of "trust" in this context? I say that in all seriousness; it's not a facetious remark. I feel that
> it might be useful.
I can't speak for others, but just for myself: the way I understand
the term "trust" (in contrast with "security" or "protection"), and
what I meant with it on my previous message, is as a measure of how
confident a user would feed about providing (generally sensitive) data
to a website. Ie: a user that absolutely trusts a site won't hesitate
to provide any kind of data to it; while a user who doesn't trust the
site at all won't knowingly provide any data at all (of course,
s/he'll still be providing a "request" HTTP header and similar
details, but that's most probably not known by the user; otherwise the
user wouldn't even visit the site). Of course, there is a full range
of grays between these extremes.