[whatwg] input type=hidden outside phrasing content

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 20:29:11 -0500
On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Mike Wilson <mikewse at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Would it be possible to have HTML5 allow the insertion of
>  <input type="hidden" ...>
> (or something with the same effect) anywhere in the document?
>
> This would f ex relieve cases like server-side templating
> wanting to attach hidden state to its generated markup, and
> not having to use complex algorithms to find a suitable spot.
>
> As this type of element is non-visual this suggestion
> shouldn't cause any layout problems, but I guess having
> different placement rules for different settings on the same
> element type is, so maybe using <input> is not possible.
> Could HTML5 support adding hidden POSTable state in another
> way, that wouldn't be subject to placement rules for visual
> content?
>
> Best regards
> Mike Wilson

For arbitrary state accessible to in-page scripting (like javascript), html5
defines the data-* family of attributes on all elements.  These can have any
name (as long as it starts with "data-") and can hold arbitrary data.

For POSTable state, the state needs to be within the <form> that's being
submitted in any case, so being able to place the hidden state outside of
the form wouldn't get you much.  Can you elaborate on what you're proposing?

~TJ