[whatwg] video tag: pixel aspect ratio

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:13:05 -0700
Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:01:22 +0200, Sander van Zoest
> <sander at vanzoest.com> wrote:
>> I hate to say it, but if it was enough, I wouldn't be commenting here. It
>> simply isn't accurate
>> enough to store it as a float.
>
> How is not accurate? In terms of precision it shouldn't really matter...
>

>> Every respected container stores the ratio as X x Y.
>
> Ian, you could generalize the algorithm for <link sizes> and use that I
> suppose.

I think if we make the syntax really simple like:

1. Find the first ':'
2. Parse the value before as an integer
3. Parse the value after as an integer

then adding a new syntax is pretty cheap. Of course having separate
attributes is even cheaper. But if the "10:11" syntax is really common
then I think it might help authoring to use it.

/ Jonas