[whatwg] video tag : loop for ever

From: Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:07:46 -0700

On Oct 15, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Eric Carlson
> <eric.carlson at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think you misunderstood what I was (trying to) say. I mean that
>> it is
>> very difficult to implement looping cleanly in *JavaScript* because
>> of
>> callback latency, single threaded interpreters, etc.
>
> Yes, sorry, I missed the "in script" part.
>
> I still don't think it's that hard to do in javascript either. There
> may be a pause between the file finishing playing and starting again
> because the media subsystem has to finish decoding, possibly be
> unloaded and reloaded and then re-load the codec setup before being
> able to play it back again. But since this should be an interim
> solution until the media subsystem is brought up-to-date, it's
> probably acceptable.

   It sounds like we agree that looping *can* definitely be
implemented in JavaScript, but that it can be very difficult to do so
without visible/audible artifacts.

   I am not sure what you are saying about whether or not the media
element should have an attribute to control looping. Are you saying
that low-latency looping isn't a requirement so we don't need an
attribute, or are you saying that we should have an attribute but we
might not get low-latency looping with some media engines right now?
Or are you saying something else completely?

eric