[whatwg] video tag : loop for ever

From: Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:21:51 -0700

On Oct 15, 2008, at 2:10 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Eric Carlson
> <eric.carlson at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> As we discussed on IRC today, I think a valid use case for looping is
>> background audio. It is possible to implement looping from script,
>> but as
>> someone else in this thread commented, it will be very difficult to
>> do
>> cleanly (eg. without artifacts).
>
> I think that's an excuse for poor coding. That should not influence
> our decision making.
> If it was impossible to implement, I would use it as an argument - but
> not if it's just hard.
> The implementation of a good codec is hard in the first instance. Lots
> of things are hard, but do-able with some skill.
> We should react more to user needs than programmer capabilities here.

   I think you misunderstood what I was (trying to) say. I mean that
it is very difficult to implement looping cleanly in *JavaScript*
because of callback latency, single threaded interpreters, etc.

   I think looping is useful and common enough that we should have an
attribute for it, and thus make the implementation the responsibility
of the UA/media engine.

eric