[whatwg] video tag javascript library for contemporary browsers

On 10/15/08, Nils Dagsson Moskopp
<nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 15.10.2008, 09:52 -0400 schrieb Michael A. Puls II:
>> Awesome! The vlc plugin has awesome performance! Way better than
>> native video implementations currently.
>
> Maybe the Mozilla and Opera people can tell us why ? After all, the
> optimizations in VLC apparently are all open source ...

I *think* it has to do with the lack of hardware acceleration (even in
webkit's implementation). It seems like it's all CPU driving the video
element. No beefy CPU, no usable video element.

VideoLan does an accelerated overlay mode in an embedded window or
something, which I guess is difficult to do for the video element if
you want to be able to have it respect z-index and place elements on
top of it etc. But, I don't know details. Just know that the videolan
plugin can play theora videos with very little cpu usage, while the
*experimental* <video> implementations use 100% cpu, display video at
like 2fps and play audio like crap, unless you have a fast computer
where you can't notice.

Hopefully, things will improve. It's just something to take note of for now.

--
Michael