[whatwg] video tag : loop for ever

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:17:07 +0200
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:06:20 +0200, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2008, at 03:40, Ian Hickson wrote:
>> To be honest I'm not really convinced we need the looping feature at
>> all.

I agree. I never really understood what the use cases were for these
attributes. I got the impression they were added because of feedback from
Apple, but the reason was never clear to me.

>> It seems like we should drop this from the current version. What benefit
>> does it bring? Is looping really that common? If we got rid of it we
>> could find better ways of picking the start time.
>
> One benefit of getting authors to use a declarative attribute instead of
> a script is that a declarative attribute is easier to greasemonkey away
> if the user seriously doesn't like looping.

If this really turns out to be a problem user agents could always add
measures to prevent playing a video more than once. After all, they are in
charge of the video stream now with <video>. Authors can merely "try to"
interact with it.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>