[whatwg] Scripted querying of <video> capabilities

From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:51:58 +0900
At 7:40  +0200 14/10/08, Nils Dagsson Moskopp wrote:
>What's a "portal page" - wouldn't it be the job of the Browser /
>Media Framework to prompt for codec installs ?

They are used today;  it's a page with a 'published URL' through
which people normally gain access to the site.  You can check there
whether the UA is suitable for the rest of the site, help teh user
find and install anything they need, and so on.

No, I don't think authors can expect that the UA will automatically
suggest codec installs.  It doesn't know the basis, and maintaining a
reliable database of mimetype->download-site mappings would be a pain.

--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime