[whatwg] Tagcloud semantics

From: Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils-dagsson-moskopp@dieweltistgarnichtso.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 05:59:50 +0200
Hello,

I was wondering what markup one could use for tag clouds and similar
ways to convey different importance of marked up content. Current
popular markup involves nested <em> elements, which strikes me as kinda
complicated and, in extreme cases hard to read.

I was thinking along the lines of a @weight attribute whose value would
range from 0 (least importance) to 1 (maximum importance) due to
normalisation (scaling according to power law). This could also used in
normal text to confer the amount of stress put into phrases - say, for a
voice client.

I'm aware that this is probably a stupid idea, but, as I said, nested
<em>s (and custom class names even more so) strike me as particularly
difficult.

Cheers,

Nils