[whatwg] native styling for search input boxes

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Kristof Zelechovski
<giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl> wrote:
> Please give some examples how the special status of a search field can be
> used by user agents, presentation aside.
> (I am not trying to challenge Matthew's argument, I am just interested).
> Chris

Firefox, IE8, and several other browsers allows for search provider
autodiscovery. When they encounter a site with a specific <link> tag,
their searchbox dropdown lights up, denoting that the site can be
added as a permanent search target.

http://www.rebron.org/2006/06/01/search-discovery-in-firefox-20/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc848862(VS.85).aspx

A special search field could also integrate with this facility in a
more automatic and natural way. Any site with marked-up search field
could be considered a search provider.

Regards,

Leons Petrazickis
http://lpetr.org/blog/