[whatwg] Placeholder option for text input boxes

> This usage is deprecated because it can not be generalized to all possible attribute names
> We recommend the use of generic methods on the core Element interface for setting, getting and removing attributes.

Although I understand your reasoning, I disagree. The DOM does not
exist only to wrap the representation of the original document markup.
The DOM is a programming API and programmings API should make programs
more easy to code nd more performant. Having a get/setAttribute
indirection plus type conversions between serialized strings and back
to a usable type (number, function) are not friendly at all.
The idea of dom properties for attributes is not to find a generic
structure for all atributes, but to have support for known attributes
with known behavior.

Please, don't make such claim again, they are misleading, and clearly
not realistic.