[whatwg] Solving the login/logout problem in HTML

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:24:58 -0800
Julian Reschke wrote:

>> Actually, what's missing from HTTP is a way to ask you to authenticate
>> but allow anonymous authentication (others have proposed sending a
>  > ...
>
> Could you define what "anonymous authentication" would mean precisely?

I'm not sure this is what the OP meant, but I'd love a way to register
and login *at the same time*. In fact, I implemented a system that did
this a few years ago. Basically, give your username and password: if it
exists (and matches) you're logged in. If the username doesn't exist,
create the user and login. Don't separate registration and login.

My system wasn't quite so anonymous in that it did require an e-mail
confirmation before the user's requested actions would be taken (posting
comments) but it could easily have been anonymous.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Refactoring HTML Just Published!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0321503635/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA