[whatwg] accesskey attribute with display:none elements

From: Calogero Alex Baldacchino <alex.baldacchino@email.it>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:17:56 +0100
Olli Pettay ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> currently it isn't specified anywhere (AFAIK) what should happen
> if the element which has an accesskey attribute is hidden using
> display:none.
>
> HTML4 says the following:
> "Pressing an access key assigned to an element gives focus to the
> element. The action that occurs when an element receives focus depends
> on the element. For example, when a user activates a link defined by
> the A element, the user agent generally follows the link..."
> The problem is that focusing and activating isn't the same thing.
>
> FF2, Safari 3.x and Opera 9.6 can activate display:none accesskey
> targets.
> FF3 changed the behavior to require visible and focusable element.
> IE7 doesn't seem to activate, only focus (at least <a> elements), and
> because hidden element isn't really focusable, it doesn't seem to do
> anything
> with elements with display:none.
>
> A simple testcase https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=339588
>
> I think allowing hidden elements to be activated is useful for web apps,
> especially because there isn't any API to add listeners for accesskey
> activation.
> (Key event listeners could do something similar, but they'd need to
> handle all the different
> browsers and OSes.)
> So I prefer what FF2, Safari and Opera do, and would like to change
> FF3.1 to work
> the same way.
>
> Anyway, I hope some behavior could be standardized.
>
> Comments?
>
> br,
>
> -Olli
Maybe, the standard behaviour (for both 'display:none' and
'visibility:hidden') could be just focusing (and changing visibility)
after pressing the access key (so the user notices what's happening
before activating any 'control'), then activating the element after a
second press.

 Sponsor:
 Incontri con Meetic : Primo sito d'incontri in Europa - Milioni di single !
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=8293&d=25-11