[whatwg] media elements: Relative seeking

From: Maik Merten <maikmerten@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:22:52 +0100
Silvia Pfeiffer schrieb:
> In any case - if you (and also Chris Double) are satisfied with the
> estimates you're getting for file duration/length - I'll stop arguing
> for it. It would be nice to hear some experimental evidence about how
> well it's doing, e.g. for typical movie trailers, so we can lay that
> argument to bed knowing we've done our homework.

I now also account for the bytes in the buffer to compute the current
playback byte-position and added a status bar showing playback progress.

http://people.xiph.org/~maikmerten/demos/bigbuckbunny-applet-javascript.html

Given that I estimate the duration with outrageous crudeness (no
averaging) and also compute the slider position without any means to
ensure it doesn't jump around wildly I think it's pretty smooth - so
perhaps estimating the duration is in fact a viable fallback if one
doesn't want to determine the duration "properly".

Maik