[whatwg] media elements: Relative seeking

   Reporting the absolute time of the current sample won't help when
the first sample of the file doesn't have a timestamp of zero. It will
be even more confusing for files with portions removed or added
without fixing time stamps - for example a movie created by
concatenating different files.

   As I noted when this subject came up a few weeks ago, the right way
to deal with media formats that don't store duration is to estimate
the duration of the whole file by extrapolating from the known, exact,
duration of the portion(s) that have been processed. While the initial
estimate won't always be correct for variable bit-rate formats, the
estimate will become more and more accurate as it is iteratively
refined by processing more media data. The spec defines the
"durationchange" for just exactly this scenario.

   I don't think it makes *any* sense at all to push this problem up
so the user has to deal with . It is a hard problem, but it is a
problem for the User Agent

eric